Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Book banning. Well I'm screwed.

I read this article today:
 
 
It's the list of most challenged books of 2013. Challenged, meaning, people making formal complaints to have the book banned from the library.
 
It is disheartening to see that even in 2013 there are still people that want to sensor our freedom of speech. But, it is uplifting to know that most of these books are the best sellers of the year.
 
These books are being scrutinized for having antagonistic situations that make some people uncomfortable because they bring to light the worst of our society or what used to be the worst of our society.
 
At the moment, I find this article almost comical. The Book is a fantasy but it touches on a very real, very uncomfortable issue that happens everyday in many many places. So this leads me to the "I guess I'm screwed" part. I'm not worried about making people uncomfortable with my story. I'm worried about people taking the right message from my story. I want to highlight the bad so that the bad will be seen and heard because the are so many silent sufferers. I don't want people to assume I'm advocating for the antagonist. WHY would anyone assume the author wants the characters they write to hurt? They want to show the protagonist succeeding and over coming the horrors that are placed before them.
 
That doesn't apply to all books, but most.
 
Well, I've just rambled on a bit. But the gist is, I'm writing something that will make some people uncomfortable. Too darn bad for them.
 
Ttfn! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment