Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Writing Retreat and Residency Wish List

Lately I've been planning on dreaming about doing a writers retreat or residency. While it's enticing to think about, I have a full time job, a husband and a daughter that I can't just abandon to spend a week or month hidden away, writing and learning about writing. *Sigh* A girl can dream though, right?

But just because I can't attend one of these events, that doesn't mean you can't! Then I can live vicariously through you.

Let's talk first about the difference between a Retreat and a Residency:

Retreats are a cross between a Residency and a Conference. Typically you're in a setting that is conducive to writing. Peaceful, gorgeous, quiet, the envy of every single one of your busy, overworked friends. Friends that will probably hate you when you post pictures of your surroundings.

*Looks pointedly over glasses at Twitter friends that do retreats*

Other than the perfect setting, you'll also typically interact with speakers who teach you more about your writing, be it promotion, marketing, plotting, character development etc. This is actually why I'm drawn to retreats, because it is time to focus on and develop certain parts of my writing with the guidance of a professional who most certainly knows more than I do on the subject. And getting to do it all surrounded by peace and quiet instead of with an angry toddler who's hit the biting phase? Yes, please!

Residencies on the other hand do not offer coaching sessions like the retreats. Residencies are usually 1 week to 3 months of seclusion in one of those gorgeous locations I talked about, to just write. I think I would go nuts after 1 month of seclusion, but time alone with my thoughts and my writing sounds like absolute bliss. Can you imagine being able to write day in and day out without distraction, surrounded by absolute beauty? Amazing.

In all honesty, I'd probably go nuts after 2 or 3 nights away from my grumpy little toddler and my husband. I've never been away from them for more than a day. They drive me nuts, but I love them to the moon and back. :)

So, while I'll probably never attend one of these (you totally should) here are some of my dream retreats and Residencies.

Retreats:

Schull, Co Cork, IRELAND
Georgian House overlooking Schull Harbour in West Cork, Ireland. (This is Ireland. My dream. I'm there.)

Wellspring House: A Retreat for Writers and Artists by Preston Browning
Location: Ashfield, MA 

The Porches
Norwood, VA


Residencies:

Ucross Foundation
Northeastern Wyoming

Martha's Vineyard Writers Residency (Yes, I'm a wine-o)
Edgartown, Massachusetts

Jack Kerouac Writer in Residence Project
Orlando, FL (uhhh 3 months in Florida - no brainer)






No comments:

Post a Comment